Submitted: 04-27-2004 by BK

I bought the new Old Town Ojibway for five reasons: 1.) I wanted a canoe with which I could do all those things one is not supposed to do with a "good" canoe; 2.) We often found ourselves one canoe short for outings with friends; 3.) My wife had been lobbying for a flat bottomed canoe for casual paddling; 4.) We needed a good "kids" canoe; and, 5.) It was cheap (and my wife thought it was "cute").

Old Town quality for the price of a Coleman. Who could argue with that? This is not one of those cheap, floppy plastic fantastics, as the PolyLink material is 3/8-inch thick at the inner rails.

As to its performance, the best I can say is that the Ojibway is a Discovery 158 hull with a kayak-styled top and I find myself in general agreement with the Disco 158 comments found elsewhere on this site.

I will add that after six outings (five tandem, one solo), I have not been disappointed as this appears to be an excellent general purpose canoe.

The canoe purist in me says to give it a 6, as it does nothing extremely well. However, since I've found that I now use it more than any of my other canoes I'm tempted to give it a 7, but since my total outlay at L.L. Bean was only $512, I'm giving it a 9!