Submitted: 04-26-2004 by Clark Burdick

I bought my Radisson 14' wide-transom 'canoe' about four years ago. I bought it for fishing and casual touring. I never bought it for white water or rough use. Anyone who bought this boat expecting to run it over gravel and rocks and branches is not thinking right. This boat is an awesome cartopper that I can use to reach any NY State hand-launch fishing access. At 54lbs, and with my 2hp Honda 4-stroke weighing 28lbs, I have an 82lb aquatic assault vehicle that can cross a lake or fight against a river current, and can then be lifted back onto the roof of my Dodge Dakota by one person at the end of the day. The triple keels make the boat track well when there is enough weight in it. With a person up front, one in the back, and the cooler and tackle boxes in the middle, this is a stable and sweet handling boat.

Nothing is perfect, and I had to make a few improvements. I added some thin bungee cords, with quick-detach clips, that run between the oars (or paddles) and the hull. I found that the oar could slip out of the oarlock and float away. The bungees solved that problem and should come with the boat as standard items. I also had to add a piece of wood (1x3 pine about 6" long)at a couple of places in order to mount rod holders. I also recommend that owners of this boat purchase a length of ribbed runner carpet (from Home Depot) to lay in the bottom of the boat. I realized that I like the foam lining of the boat for quite and insulation, but that I needed mor durability. I carry a 14' length of this heavy runer material with me. It rolls up to about a 10" dia. Before I load the boat with gear I roll out the runner in the bottom. This runner traps any water and dirt. The ribs running the length of the runner keep items from rolling around in the boat. When I get home I just open the runner in the back yard and it is soon dry and ready to use again. The runner cost mer about $36 dollar and is still in good condition four years later. The foam lining in my boat is still in perfect condition.

Other than that, I love this boat. I will be getting a Ram-x or ABS boat to beat up on the rocks, and keep the Raddisson for fishing. Used for what it was intended, the Radisson is unbeatable.

Schitt Creek Paddle Wear: