Submitted: 04-26-2004 by KayakDad

I just bought a Pungo 120 today with the idea that my kids and I will do some kayak fishing and flatwater cruising. None of us ever tried kayaking before so this was going to be a new adventure for all of us. Put the kayak in the pool for a little practice, tracked straight, easy to steer, good looking boat too.

Now for the bad news. This boat has a 400 lb rating, and I am 6'0" and about 265. Other than sitting perfectly straight, this boat would roll over. The water line came up to the top of what one would consider to be the gunwales, or about 4-5 inches below the lip of the cockpit. For the life of me, I can't imagine how anyone can possibly put 400 lbs in this kayak and not sink. I really think Wilderness is stretching the limit (for marketing reasons?) with that rating. Anyway this is not the boat for me and I will definitely be looking for a more stable platform for myself. As for my 23 yr old 160lb son, he had absolutely no problem maneuvering the boat and he purposely tested the stability by leaning over the side until it started to tip. Again, no problem and he absolutely loved the boat.

In closing, I give the boat a 5 because I think Wilderness is grossly exagerrating the safe weight rating of this boat.