Submitted: 04-23-2004 by Rotator-Phil

I purchased this craft used from a friend at the pool where I took rolling classes. As of this date (4-22-04) I have only used it three times outdoors. I have been using it in the pool for several sessions to practice rolls. I have successfully righted the craft at least once in every session the real difficulty is the lack of thigh bracing and I must add that I may have to replace the foot pad rails and pegs as the pegs drop out when I roll. This is not a problem in the pool as it is easy to dive down and retrieve them. In open water this would be a problem. Reading the reviews indicates that others have had similar experiences.

Last week we had a beautiful spring day with winds of 10-15 mph. several of us met on a small lake for some exercise. I was working on everything except rolls. The boat tracked well with and without the skeg. I like the idea of installing a cam on the skeg line to enable finding the neutral position for the skeg.

I expect to be doing some day touring on Lake Michigan this summer. I will tender my experiences in this regards. My rating is based upon very limited experience to allow room for reappraisal.

The Prijon that we used in the roll class was signifcantly easier to roll due to the narrower beam providing a lower aspect ratio.

Another point that may have value regarding cartopping. I have a Cadillac DeVille, I am six foot even. I find it very easy to place the boat on either foam blocks or an old pair of racks made for rain gutters which I adapted to the gutterless top of this '95 Caddy. Significantly I would like to offer this thought to the person that is using bungy cords. I used bungy cords for years cartopping canoes. I never had a bad experience, however, I credit that to the fact that I inspected and changed them frequently at the first sign of weather, sun, or any sign of a crack or weakness in the rubber. Today I prefer the web straps with ratchets. One over the center thru the open doors and one on each end. I recently had a chance to demonstrate my system of using foam blocks without rack and three web straps as above to a friend under quite extreme circumstances. Forty to fifty mph crosswinds alongside of tractor-trailer rigs with no movement of the craft. I usually place the kayak, cockpit down. It is my belief that this is the most streamlined profile and it does not cause denting of the hull from the stress of the ratcheted down web straps. My vehicle has an instant fuel usage readout that informs me as to the efficiency of the vehicle at all speeds and wind conditions. In addition, it provides me with an average fuel usage. Over fifteen hundred miles of driving I am averaging 20.1 mpg.. This started with a 750 mile trip without any bike or kayak on the vehicle. At this point the average was 21.6. The next 750 was more urbanized driving with kayak or bike or both affixed.

Portage Pal: