Submitted: 04-19-2004 by Yakker

I bought my Sky so I could paddle flatwater with my wife, which in turn allows me to paddle whitewater with my friends (she's not at all interested). The Sky does well on flatwater, not as well as her Pungo which is considerably longer and heavier, but well enough to keep up. It tracks well and is quite comfortable with a very supportive seat and plenty of foot space. I've had multiple back surgeries and that supportive seat is a godsend. Today I took it downriver (just class 1) with our paddling club. It way outdid my expectations. True, it can't spin on a dime like my whitewater kayak, but it's not built to. However, it can turn much quicker and easier than I expected, enough so that I could easily surf several small rapids. The seat was so comfortable that when everyone stopped halfway down to dump water and stretch, I happily stayed in my boat and went surfing the next small rapid 20 yards down all by myself! When we got off the river, I felt great with no backache, and I had a fun day playing in a very stable and comfortable flatwater boat. I probably won't pull out my whitewater kayak now for anything less than class 3's, but will use my Sky for all lesser rivers. Also, I grabbed the Pungo's sprayskirt at the last minute and it fit and worked well enough that I'll use it again.