Submitted: 04-12-2004 by Jonathan Peacock

I have been kayaking on lakes, creeks, and rivers for three years. I have two of the Carolina 14.5 rotomold kayaks, a 2002 and 2003 model. One has a rudder and one does not. I started with out a rudder to learn my paddling skills first. I have been in very rough conditions on the lakes and the Carolina handled like a champ. I never had the fear that I was going to go over in the big waves or high winds. Its big enough to be stable and track well in the lakes and small enough to wind through narrow creeks. It is amazing what this kayak can do. The rudder becomes a must in winds or trips up stream. I recently took a solo trip down the Buffalo National River in Arkansas in the month of March. I got more than I bargained for because of recent rains. The river was one foot away from being closed. I experienced class I lower class III rapids. I cant tell you how lucky I was that the Carolina handled like it did. I had two close calls due to strainers and the ability of myself and the Carolina pulled me through. The trip was a four day three night trip. I had the hatches filled with gear and a rear deck bag filled also. The weight was close to max. Me being 6 205 pounds, made for some of it. The kayak never felt unstable with the weight. This is a great kayak for beginners and experts as well. I am ready to add a 2004 model to the fleet. They have changed the design some and I cant wait to try it.

Kayak Covers of Charleston: