Submitted: 04-06-2004 by lees

I found my hobie mirage,yes found it after hurricane georges blew through the fl keys. in a mangrove creek casting for bait I noticed a white object way back up the way but it basically inacessable ,and I did'nt pay it much mind.2 years later I happened to be there on a full moon tide baitcasting again but there was enough water to push fairly close in.relizing it was a kayak I pulled it out, half covered with gooseneck barnacles and moss it didn't look like much but being a packrat I took it home. It cleaned up great! had a slight crack in the nose and across the top of the seat where it was upside down all those years so I put plastic epoxy in it and the repairs are still holding, I showed it to a friend of mine who worked on watersports boat and he ask if the peddles had been with it. I had seen some flippers attached to a bike in the mud so back to the mangroves.a little corrisonX and we had them working. Then my wife tried it,,can't get it back,built her a cart for it and it she uses it at least 2 a week in summer. Now for the review ,they are tough! hurricane georges blew 120 steady and this yak was easily 2 miles from nearest land and 30 yards back in the mangroves, cleaned up great, you leave something for two years in saltwater and expose the other end to the tropical sun and bird droppings it doesn't last.She doesnt really use the peddles often since a lot of paddling is shallow here,thing is pretty fast though with or without the peddles. I think the seat is too high but she has a shorter torso so it fits her well. the forward hatch is easy to acess and holds a fair amount of stuff .the rear hatch could be much bigger but this an older model kayak ,access to it is fairly easy if your'e smaller framed,but I have a hard time turning around .This is an older model though. and so am I.The paddle rest is a nice feature. I would like to see the drain plug located on the topside of the hull instead of the back. the cam controls for the rudder system require a lot of attention for use and their placement can make getting on and off in deeper water inconvienent.I removed the rudder system and she didn't miss it at all I was impressed with this yak,and being a commercial fisherman all my life not much impresses me.