Submitted: 04-05-2004 by Arledge

First, let me explain my background and biases. My first boat was a Nordkapp HM which I bought in 1990. I expended a lot of adrenaline my first couple of years learning to paddle in that skinny boat, but I loved the speed. I switched to a Nordkapp Jubilee about seven years ago and loved it as well. I came to believe that the longer the waterline and the narrower the beam, the better the boat.

A few years ago I talked Sandy Martin into trying my idea for a forward day hatch. When he came out with the Eggemoggin he gave me a good deal on one in exchange for the day hatch idea. I had some mixed feelings because it was a couple of inches wider than my Nordkapp and I was loath to give up the speed. The first time I took it out I had three to four foot waves, not very steep, but enough to get up on for a ride. I was shocked when the bow submerged, but was amazed how it cruised along just under the surface without trying to dive or broach. When I leaned back it surfaced, no problem. It seemed to me that there was not enough volumn right up in the bow. Also, I gave up a little speed with the wider Eggemoggin, but on the other hand it was nice to be able to use a camera or binoculars and not having to be always ready to brace. The Eggemoggin turns easier than the Nordkapp, but still tracks well and does not weathercock, it rolls easily, and it has a tremendous amount of storage space. And, of course, I love my forward day hatch.

Over the last two years I have had the Eggemoggin out in eight foot breaking waves, winds up in the 30 - 35 knot range and last summer paddled it on trip from Portsmouth New Hampshire down the Maine coast to Canada. I have really grown to appreciate the Eggemoggin. I think what happens surfing is that the low volumn bow submerges fairly easily, but the wider fishform hull just behind the bow has enough bouyancy to keep the bow from diving further. I'm not a surfing fanatic, but I have been some fairly big and steep waves and I feel comfortable with my boat. The bow still goes under, but it has never broached or pitchpoled.

On last summer's trip on the Maine coast, my two companions were paddling longer narrower boats but I had no problem keeping up. The speed sacrifice was not as much as I thought. When they were fussing about holding a course, my Eggemoggin cruised along oblivious to the cross wind and waves. I have fiddled with the skeg occasionally when surfing, but if I were buying the boat again, I would get it without the skeg, I don't think it is needed. On the whole I am very happy with the Eggemoggin. Sandy has come up with a very nice cruising boat.