Submitted: 04-01-2004 by Ken

I just purchased my Swifty 9.5 at Bass Pro Shops in Orlando. Right product for the right price. $379 and it included Harmony paddles. I didn't care for them as I had tried my girlfriends, so I bought Carlilses'with a fiberglass shaft. Very light. I'm new to kayaking. I've been canoeing for many years. Started up in NY with the Fulton Chain Lakes in the Adirondacks. Back in the '60s (yeah I'm that old, I was a teenager then)it was pretty much wilderness. Don't know if it still is as I've lived in Florida for the past 20 years. I live close to the Ocala Forest and it is as wild as anything I've seen. Pretty dangerous also. I didn't have to deal with 'gators and mocassins in NY.

Getting back to the Swifty. It's a good starting point. Very basic. It's light and very manuverable. Especially helpful on the rivers down here. There are very few swift waters here so the Swifty is perfect. It's made for day trips that don't require a lot of gear, maybe a lunch and some light fishing tackle. I took it out one day on a local lake that has some size. It was very windy and choppy (1 1/2 waves). I turned back quickly as I didn't think my skills and the boats capabilities were up to it. Hard to paddle in those conditions. But on a slowly meandering stream or river it is perfect. I feel I made a correct choice when I purchased it. I will probably move up to a larger model as my skills improve.