Submitted: 03-31-2004 by mlsphd

I installed the Harken Hoist this past weekend. It joins the 2 Eagles Nest hoists in my garage. In comparison, the Harken installation was more complicated. It also lacked some of the convenience/safety features found on the Eagles Nest: a winch based hoist and a separate set of straps to secure the boat once the hoist had done the work. That aside, the Harken works as described. I am using the 2 point version to hang my yak on the side. I am planning to install a couple of 2" straps affixed to eye hooks to secure the yak when raised and take storage tension off the hoist. I agree with the others about the less than stellar directions. Also, I have a garage ceiling with exposed joists. I mounted it directly to the joists with a small 2x4 piece on the joist to offset the organizer guide. Recommendations for Harken improvements:
1. Instructions for mounting on unfinished ceilings. 2. Wider straps 3. A second set of straps to secure boat for storage and take tension off hoist.

Ordering direct was easy and quick. They responded very rapidly to an inquiry about modifying mounting instructions for an unfinished ceiling.