Submitted: 03-30-2004 by russelj2

My family of 4 just bought a 4th sit-on-top so we could all kayak together. I have a WS Tarpon 140, my wife has a Necky Dorado and my 10-yr. old daughter has an Ocean Kayak Kea. We wanted to add a fourth for my 11-year old son, but we wanted a boat we could take to the beach and also paddle on the many rivers located here in Central Florida. Our local store had a sale and after some deliberation, we chose the Ripper. Yesterday we took it out on the Wekiwa River and my son loved it!! It paddled faily well downstream and was comparable to the Kea while paddling upstream against a stiff current. I'm 6'1" and weigh 200 pounds and I could navigate fairly well in it as well. We haven't tried it in the surf yet, but expect it to handle fine there. It doesn't track particularly well in a river, but its not insufferable either. It'd be nice to have a cupholder, but wouldn't really expect one on a beach toy. I'd give it a 10 if it had handles to make it easier to load in and out of our vehicle.