Submitted: 03-29-2004 by wcannon

I bought the West River 180 kit last February and assembled it during the ensuing three months. I have been delighted with both the boat building process and the kayak's performance on the water.

The few occasions that I had questions while building this boat, CLC was there to help. Essentially, it was a simple matter of following well written instructions and along with the numerous hints available on the CLC web site, the process was easy. However, do not confuse easy with quick. I was limited to weekend work and it took me about three months. It required careful planning to take the greatest advantage of the frequent 12-48 hour dry times.

On the water it is a pleasure. I consider my skill to be approaching intermediate, and I am aware that I will be able to get much more out of my 180 as my skills improve. But, even so, I find it easy to control even when the fetch kicks up the waves along the east shore of Lake Erie. Weathercocking is minimal, yet there does seem to be some tendancy to broach.

I look forward to building another CLC with my son in a year or two.

Suspenz: