Submitted: 02-25-2004 by mclina

I bought my Acadia 12.5 last spring after about a month of research. Probably should have tested out some other models, but I tend to be an impulse buyer, and this looked like a good boat.

I have been very happy with it, and got out several dozen times last year, mostly on flat, slow, rivers. It is light enough to put up on my minivan by myself, and is a lot of fun to paddle. My 7 year old son was able to paddle it around a lake without too much difficulty, and I would sometimes let my smaller daughters ride in the rear cargo hatch like a rumble seat (with PFD of course).

I am hoping to try it out in the ocean this summer, and if I don't die, I'll post an update on how it goes. I know it is not a sea kayak, but it handles motorboat wakes well enough.

The salesman described the Acadia 12.5 as "the Honda Accord of Kayaks", meaning that you really can't go wrong with this boat if you aren't quite sure what you plan to do with it. I would mostly agree, but I may change my mind after putting it in the Atlantic.