Submitted: 02-16-2004 by DaveO1
I have Royalex with wood rails. Several times Iíve done the Middle Yough and Upper Delaware Mongaup wave, both solid class II, and some other less whitewater-demanding rivers. I was able to surf, turn into eddies and generally have fun and keep up with the kayakers. I added D-rings, tug-eyes, inch-worm bolts under the gunwales, and used Wenonah floatation bags.

So what you say? Just this. It can handle class II with ease, maneuver in small streams, and handle lakes (just not with great efficiency I suspect). It is relatively tough Royalex and doesnít oil can or flex much, although obviously it is less efficient, and less expensive, than composite. The hull is torn up from rock collisions, but no breaches into the foam, so who cares? It weighs in at 46 lbs, so carries are easy enough.

So if you can only have one solo boat, and you want it to do everything but hardcore whitewater, this is the boat.