Submitted: 02-11-2004 by postalgbv

I have had a TracRac system on my truck for about a year. I have a 1977 Chevy C-10 longbed. I bought this rack because I needed to support a 23' Huki Outrigger canoe. The canoe really needed to be supported with rails no less than 4', no more than 6', and ideally 5' apart. The TracRac allows me to adjust this with one hand. I attached the Yakima Mako Saddles directly to the channel on the top of the tracrac rails. I did this by slightly grinding the stainless carriage bolts that came with the saddles, so that they had a "T" shaped head instead of round. It works flawlessly.

Strangely, one of my side rails started turning a dark purple (from the original black). I called and they immediately offered to send me a new pair of side rails, so I can say customer service is fantastic.

You don't see alot of these around (yet!), but I still have the locking knobs, and would recommend the locking knobs if you get the TracBox (sliding tool box that slides on third inside rail).

Installation is simple. Took me an hour or two and I was taking my sweet time and torquing all bolts exactly. I re-tightened a few months later and the beast hasn't moved a bit.

Just as further testimony, I had to drive 2.5 hours to pick up my canoe (having already installed the tracrac and Mako saddles, but never testing them). I strapped the canoe on and headed back home....it just happened to be the day a tornado came through the midstate. I was going about 65 on the interstate with ~70 mph crosswinds (orange barrels flying across road) and the rack and 23' canoe held up perfectly. I didn't even have the canoe tied down in the front or back. I cannot imagine a better system.

Also, if the price is turning you off (I paid $600 with free shipping off the internet), keep in mind that it's more of an investment, seeing as if I buy a new Chevy/Toyota, etc, all I will have to buy again is the side rails (as they are slightly different than the rails for my 1977). All other components would work fine on the new truck.

I can't even tell you how many guys at the local hardware store and at the lake have asked me about the rack.