Submitted: 02-02-2004 by F Davis

I have paddled this boat for 3 years. Assembly is reasonably easy (be sure to watch the video and study the manual the first time). I appreciate the extras that Feathercraft provides, such as Sea Sock, spray skirt, backpack, and repair kit. The assembled boat is an easy carry to the water. Once under way, I find it glides along ok up to about 4 mph. Not a good choice for speed sprints, etc. Initial stability is fine, for example my wife likes paddling the boat too, and she is a pure beginner to kayaks. Secondary stability is ok, but with the fairly wide beam (relative to my other sea kayaks), once you pass the critical point, things happen quickly. I have been able to roll it a few times, but it would need some sort of thigh or knee brace arrangement for me to be consistent.

Quality of construction is great, showing only moderate wear so far. Again, pay close attention to how to assemble it to avoid unneccessary wear on the parts.

Orginally I typed in an "7" for the paddling experience itself in this boat, but when I thought about the quality of materials and construction, and the extras that Feathercraft provides, I bumped it up to "9".

And not to knock another manufacturer, but the Kahuna gets used a LOT more than my Klepper Aerius.