Submitted: 02-02-2004 by Glenn

I have paddled for many years always in rental boats. Usually would end up with some form of Solstice/Storm. When it came time to figure out which one to buy, I started renting the lower priced boats so to not get in too deep right away so to speak. I rented the Breeze many times and was almost settled on that. Then once, the rental place didn't have a Breeze and put me in a Whistler instead. I knew they had this boat available but I had not really even noticed it before because it really is identical to the Breeze in all respects hull-wise with the exception of a one foot longer waterline. Wow! What a tremendous difference. It is amazing how that one foot extra improved tracking. The Breeze needs babysitting to maintain a straight line while the Whistler seems to go straight even if your paddles aren't identical strength! As I have a bad habit of breaking my concentration to look at landing floatplanes above me, I wanted a boat that could handle itself when I wanted to focus attention on something else. Very stable boat. Still a short boat though at 14'6" it fits perfectly across two parking spaces for storage at the apartment too! It is also the exact same length as the Jetta so I just match the bow with the hood and know I can fit anywhere the car can go normally.

The only qualm I have is that I guess because the bow doesn't curve up like the longer ones, it does tend to be a little wet. This is only when paddling into a faily strong wind though... maybe 1 out of 10 paddles I would get splashed a bit. Well so much for my "budget" though. I liked this boat so much I boat another Whistler to take friends and family out in as it is an easy boat to get comfortable in right away. Fit me like a glove. Now to be fair to other people who like their different similar boats, I didn't try too much outside of current designs. But you know what? I felt like I found the girl you want to marry... why keep looking when you are completely satisfied and excited that you have something I am happy with now and know I will be in the future.