Submitted: 02-02-2004 by waikoloa

I have had my Scupper Pro for 11 years. It is, obviously, the older style with two hatch covers. I love my boat. She track beautifully and is easy to steer. I can paddle faster in this boat than ANY other kayak on the river or lake. I can go over class III's and barely feel a ripple. When on the ocean, she handles waves like a longboard; i.e. she'll take you all the way to shore. At 68 lbs., it is a very heavy boat. You'll find a kayak cart a good accessory to aquire. I have had problems with the hatches leaking when I am in whitewater or heavy surf, but this boat is not meant for those conditions, so that is my problem. The rubber gaskets on those hatches have ripped off twice which was a design flaw. I solved the problem by leaving them off after the second time. they didn't stop water getting inside the hull, anyway. The newer design with the well in back (rather than a covered hatch) is, I think, inspired. You can't get inside the hatches while sitting in the boat. The well makes for easy access.