Submitted: 01-26-2004 by tjackjimmy

Hey, this is an entry-level paddle and was never intended to compete with top-end touring gear. With that said, it's well-designed for its purpose. The blade design has a good clean catch, very little if any flutter and is definitely a vertical-style power blade. Great for pushing those 60-pound, 30-inch beam SOT's around, which is why I bought mine.

The thing's about as delicate as a WWII army shovel,weighs a bit less, and is just as good for digging clams. (Actually, twice as good, if you break it down and give half to one of your buddies.) After 4+ years of use and abuse by myself and friends, the ferrule is still tight, there's a little vinyl wear on the shaft, and the driprings have been replaced. Yeah, and the blades are a little scratched from clamdigging and fending off rocks. Beyond that it's good as new.

A while back, I stepped up to a touring-type boat and acquired a touring-type paddle. Now the Seaquel sits on my afterdeck, not only as a spare and a camp shovel, but also for surf and rock gardens and other odd occasions when I want a bigger blade or just don't want to bang up the Werner.

Good design, cost-effective, rugged as hell. A 9 just because I haven't tried 'em all, yet.

New York Kayak Co.: