Submitted: 01-26-2004 by Jay

I have had a plastic Eclipse 17 for Two years and find it to be an great boat for the price. It has excellent rigging and hatches. The storage compartments stay bone dry. I really like the storage straps above the rear hatch. It's a very durable hull. No worries about rocks etc. The weather cocking is not severe and is easily corrected with edging or the rudder. I like a rudder over a skeg because it allowes you to dial in exactly the right amount of trim, which greatly reduces fatigue on a long day. The rudder and controals on this boat are the best I've seen.

Putting the boat on edge is very predictable. The speed is equal to other boats of this length and design. I find the seating and thigh support perfect for me [6 ft. 175lb.] My size 13 feet are tight but ok. I usually ware wet suit socks. The weight is over come with a dolly on land and is not an issue on the water. When money allows, I will purchase a Fiber glass or composite Eclipse.