Submitted: 01-05-2004 by SZ

For an inexpensive kayak to putter around with on flat water, this is a fine boat. We bought one for our 9 year old daughter to tag along with us while we were out in our Perception Acadias - she wanted a shorter boat than those 12+ footers.

Now you must understand: this is a really basic boat - there are no bungee cords on the deck, no storage hatch, no foot pegs...just a hull and a seat. Personally I don't like paddling it - it doesn't track as well as my Acadia and I really miss having those foot braces. Our daughter loves her little boat though, and can keep up with Mom and Dad pretty well in it. So for now this is the perfect kayak for her - it's small and easy for us to put on the car, it fits in the garage well (we can just stand it on its end in a corner), it seems to resist dirt better than the Acadias with their somewhat textured finish, its price was certainly friendly, and it came in a pretty color (hey, for a 9 year old girl this is an important feature!).

You can add footpegs to this boat, by the way; I priced them at around $25 at the local store. If I were going to be paddling this kayak much, I'd definitely install them.

All in all, if you're looking for a small inexpensive first-time kayak that's strictly for flatwater use, and you're not too concerned about speed or tracking ability, this is a fine choice. You may eventually want to move up to something with a few more features and better performance though.