Submitted: 12-30-2003 by carey

I received my Kopapa from a family member--so my opinion is based on my boat being free. The thing I like the most about it is that it is just about the smallest boat on the market. I toss it up on top of my car and tie it down with a strap easily. At 8 1/2 ft and 35 lbs--nothing comes close for ease of handling. You can even store it in a big closet. I put a few flush mount rod holders into the hull behind the seat and have rigged a way to bungee a milk crate on the back for accessible storage while enroute. Also, I carry a small float tube anchor with a tie off and can clip the anchor line fore or aft to adjust drift direction in a current or the wind. As you can guess, I use my boat for fishing on rivers, lakes, and inland salt waters. It is good on the rivers and streams where obstacles make maneuverability important. In rough surf, I'd worry if I was in water over my head. You could swamp the boat from big waves over the front, and if you tip it over I am sure it would be heck to get back inside. It is really nice to cruise the flats to a fishing spot--having fun observing the rays from above versus being afraid of stepping on one. Doesn't track that well in the wind and takes a little effort to keep moving in a straight line but it keeps me dry and gets me to places that I would not get to fish otherwise. I love it. I have looked at PAYING for a boat and would consider a Tarpon 12, Cobra Fish n Dive, and a Pungo--probably in that order. But I realize that for free, my Kopapa gets the job done and it is not difficult to get to where I want to go and get out on the water. Recommended, and I like the seat arrangement and the foot peg system.