Submitted: 12-18-2003 by michigansnorkeler
This is our first kayak; we are former canoeists. We were looking for a tandem kayak that could be paddled solo. Price was a major factor, as was capacity and handling both tandem and solo. We love this kayak. The capacity is 500 lbs, and my wife and I come close to 450. She can lay back while I paddle, and it really isn't much more effort than going solo. It is VERY stable especially when compared to a canoe. We got it in red, which looks really sharp!

I followed the recommendation of many paddlers and bought a set of decent paddles. Aquabond seacludes (not seaquels) at about $120 each. The narrower blade takes a lot less effort. I have paddled many hours solo, and really enjoy it. I noticed that I like the shorter shaft solo, longer shaft tandem. Go figure.

One drawback is the weight. After two trips, I made a makeshift cart to get it from the van to the water, often a considerable distance. I've also noticed the tracking quirks that some others have posted. This is most noticeable in wind or chop, especially when paddling slowly. I'm tempted to get a rudder. That is why I did not rate it 10.

So, I really love this boat. However, If you can afford two kayaks and are able to transport them, then I would suggest the Loon 138T.