Submitted: 12-05-2003 by Don from CT

Iíve had my Q700 since July of 03 and have really put a lot of thought into what I would write on this review. I feel like I must post a review since the other paddlers who posted reviews are about 75% of the reason I bought my 700. OK here it is: I love this boat. Itís as fast as everyone claims, maybe faster. I went from being in the middle of the group with my old Perception Eclipse to usually leading or waiting for the group to catch up. Someone mentioned itís so quiet that you really donít know how fast you are going unless you paddle with others. This is so true. It tracks and turns amazingly. I went with the rudder which is a composite Sealine with the fixed peddles. Itís by far the best rudder system I have seen, not that you really ever need to use it. The boat felt a bit tippy when I first got in it. Understandable for a round bottom, 21Ē kayak. The secondary stability is great. I can lean back and easily touch the back deck with my head and upper back. The cockpit is perfect. I went with the keyhole with thigh braces, an absolute must. Iím 6í 2Ē and 210 pounds. The boat fits me perfectly.

The 700 handles rough water well although Iíve only had it in about 3 footers in the Long Island Sound. It rolls like a dream. It handles all the standard rescues well too except the Cowboy re-entry, something I could do with my Eclipse but not with my 700, itís just too tippy. It handles wind great too. You would think with the higher volume and length it would weathercock but the long water line keeps it straight in the water.

Construction is very good and itís appearance is stunning. The strength of the gelcoat and layup is fantastic. I got slammed down hard in a rock garden one evening while taking a night paddle. There was no damage at all to my surprise, and delight.

The deck rigging is very good. The hatch design is mixed. The hatches work and look great but my front hatch does leak. Tightening up the hatch straps makes the leaking almost nonexistent. Another nice touch was I ordered the compass which came mounted in the front hatch and they sent me a second blank hatch. Now when I donít need the compass I can simply swap hatches.

Ok thereís got to be some negatives. There always are. The seat pad and back-band that came with the boat are crap and QCC should be ashamed of themselves for it. Itís kinda like buying a Porsche with $19 Pep Boy tires on it. I yanked it out the first day. The molded seat itself is ok. I also had some minor gel coat cracking that I made Phil aware of and emailed pictures to QCC but never heard back from them, although I realized a month later I emailed the pics to Steve by mistake. I had discussed the problem with Phil so Steve might have just been confused when he got my email. A follow up call is something I should have received either way.

Well thatís about it for now. The boat is all itís made out to be and then some. I cannot think of any other purchase Iíve made that I have been as happy with, except maybe my Kokatat dry suit. Gotta paddle in the winter.