Submitted: 12-04-2003 by rionido
Why are you looking at an Otter?, If you are looking for a beginner, everyday kayak that you can throw on the roof of your car at a moments notice.. you are in the right place. I bought a pair of these little critters with paddles for under $600.00 (new), with the intent of introducing my 11 yr old daughter to kayaking. It was (by far) the best $600.00 I have ever spent. My daughter is on the small side ( 4'5" @ 58 lbs), she took to it like she was born to kayak. Our first trip ended up being all day and covering about 7 miles, she was a littl tried, but the ear to ear smile she had went on for days. That smile comes back every time we go out (2-10 times a month). Sure, its a little Yak, buts its got heart. Stable and easy to turn while drawing very little water you can't go wrong for a play boat. I have four kayaks, but the Otters see the most use, they have held up very well for 3 years now and arre available in a variety of "kid friendly" colors (ours are a matched pair in a blue, green and purple tye dyed kind of finish. Its a 9' kayak not meant for huge water, surf or whitewater. For its intended purpose its great.

Sawyer Paddles: