Submitted: 12-01-2003 by TW

This kayak is a flats fishing machine. I have use my Ride primarily to fish the flats in Mosquito Lagoon and Tampa Bay for red fish and trout and snook. This boat is so stable I was able to fight and land a 4 foot hammerhead standing up. It paddles and tracks well. Hull slap is noticeable only in wind chop conditions but being able to stand up and to spot reds in shallow water is well worth the trade off. Mine is set up with 2 flush mount rod holders and 2 Scotty adjustable rod holders. I have also rigged an anchor system that can be set fore and aft from the cockpit. There is ample storage room in the front hatch for day trips and the tankwell can hold a five gallon bait bucket and tackle with no problems. Plugging the scupper hole keeps the boat very dry in calm conditions and is a must if you plan on doing a lot of standing. Paddle through chop and your going to get wet as the hull design pushes water out as opposed to knifing through. I have tried other kayaks and all have their advantages and disadvantages but for fishing the flats I'll keep my Ride.