Submitted: 11-24-2003 by Willie_T

I tried to buy Dean Juntunen's Manta, as well as three or four others, but it didn't work out. I finally found one close enough to drive to pick up (11.5 hr round trip!)

So far the yak is everything I have read about it. With one exception. For a big man, the coaming is totally useless. In fact it was too confining for even my wife.

Also, what Oaarsman said about the footwells being VERY tight is an understatement. Somehow OK missed the obvious... bigger people usually have bigger feet. Kind of a dumb oversight.

Not only do the actual foot holes, themselves, grow smaller as they go forward from the seat, but the front part of the cockpit also narrows extremely abruptly, truly cramming bigger feet into about half the space needed. I'm learning to live with it, but it seems that this design fault was completely unnecessary.

The honest room, front to back, is fantastic. With my 36" inseam, I can lay my legs completely flat on the floor of the cockpit, and there's still a few inches left. (If only there was someplace to put my feet way up there.)

All in all, I give it a 7 also, and it is all due to the lack of foot room. Otherwise, it would be at least a 9.

Danuu Kayak Covers: