Submitted: 11-24-2003 by Ron MacLeod

My first boat and I must say I am pleased with it. I tried out a Cape Lookout for a week before exchanging it for the Cape Horn. Not much different in design, but the Horn tracks better.

I paddle mostly in tidal rivers and bays and near shore ocean waters. This is great boat that can handle almost anything you throw at it, including 5-6' ocean waves. As noted it tracks quite well, but you do need to engage the rudder on windy days or when the ocean has more than a 2' foot roll.

I kayak primarily with a friend who has a 17' hand built cedar boat with a 23" beam. When leisurily cruising, I have no problem keeping up; however, we were paddling pretty hard one day in rough open water while crossing the bay (2-3 miles) and you could see the difference the faster boat made. He simply pulled away from me. He was on shore at least 5-10 minutes before me. Having said this, my boat can handle heavy surf much better.

Based on alround performance, you will be hard pressed to find a better boat in this price range.