Submitted: 11-24-2003 by Jeff Bartges

I just got back from racing my Trinidad in a canal race in NJ where the water was dead still, and we averaged just over four mph over a distance of 10.6 miles. Tough, stable, roomy, well designed (recessed deck rigging) and fairly fast for such a wide stable boat. Considering the storage capacity and the ability of this boat to crash through some hefty whitewater, I'd have to say the boat is versitle and watertight and tracks surprisingly well. Stability is great, even in chop.Lots of leg room even for larger paddlers. Only drawback is that the plastic version is pretty heavy. Buy a cart or take a strong partner. Portage is a dreaded word if this boat is full of touring gear.

Of the tandems I've seen and paddled, this is the best for secure tandem kayaking where evil rocks, chop, or standing waves may appear.It's very tough and the rudder is very effective. The boat is now marketed as the Perception Carolina II with no discernable changes except seats.