Submitted: 11-21-2003 by Matt Hinson

I bought the hula right before summer with full intentions of surfing, and surfing, and some fishing. I am 6'1" and 165 lbs. This is an awesome boat for the price. I had never paddled at all before I bought this boat. It is stable enough for a beginner, and I cath every wave I want to with it. It takes a couple times out to get the hang of it, but after that it is very easy. It is tough to tuly carve in this boat(no fins), but I've done some pretty cool stuff with this boat in the surf. Going out is not hard at all, as long as you paddle straight out toward the waves. I've surfed this boat on up to 6 foot waves, and it did fine. I would usually have to lean back on steeper waves to keep from pearling(nosediving), but even that is pretty fun. I would recommend using a paddle leash attatched to the boat so when you fall off you don't have to chase it.just hold on to the paddle. Oh, and thigh braces are a must. Overall, great boat to start out in. now I'm gunna get a rodeo kayak and learn how to roll, so I can carve and get air on the waves.