Submitted: 11-15-2003 by Chuck Peacock

More kudos to the Tourer. I too recently acquired one - a local dive shop had a demo on sale with the rudder for 600 dollars, and I couldn't pass it up. Unfortunately, it had a lean to one side when it free floated in the water. No problem, I called Cobra and they sent the shop a brand new one with a rudder also and it was mine in mango. What a deal! Its a sharp sleek design, very stable and pretty good speed, not as fast as a Tarpon 160, but probably better than a Scupper Pro and more stable than the scupper. It tracks very nicely without the rudder but in the rougher stuff, the rudder really helps immensely. I bought it to fish, paddling is a means to that end, but I enjoy just paddling for the zenlike experience also. So far I've taken it down to the Chesapeake Bay about 6 times and paddled out to a couple of blitzes with the diving birds and bass underneath. The speed is appreciated for this, also a lot of fun at dusk one night fishing topwater when the stripers were busting on top, lots of excitement. I've had it also out to a local lake for crappies, bluegills and bass, its also a great lake boat, when the water is calm it flies along easily. Good points as mentioned the storage hatches, tankwell behind the seat is super too and the rudder has worked flawlessly. Water will stay in the footwells some but not too bad in the seat. With all the new fishing kayak models coming out like the Emotion Fisherman and the Malibu Extreme along with the Tarpon 140, this kayak may get overlooked, but I would put it on your list of tryouts or possibles, especially if you can get a good deal like I did. Only drawback is some minor hull slap in light chop, but other than that, an awesome fishing machine. I'm looking forward to outfitting it in the Spring with the rodholders, depthfinder, etc. Lets go fishing Tourer style!