Submitted: 11-10-2003 by riverjop

I bought mt eclipse (plastic) this last summer. I have found it to be a very durable and stable kayak, on calm water or in heavy (seas). It's interesting reading everyones different opinion! Clearly it only showes me that everyone is different and that no "one" Kayak will fit the bill for everyone! This is my first kayak (I have tryed others out) and overall I feel it is a good choice for someone who wants durability, stability and plenty of room for enough gear to last a week of more in the wilderness. A couple of issues regarding some previous letters, like the rudder slowing you down; what you might consider is "shortening" it 1/2 " at a time until you get comfortable with it, but be careful!!! I personally have found the resistance to be negligable under way. I have tested my speed (GPS) under sail (no paddling) and at the most it made a tenth of a point difference! There was hardly any noticable change! (I was averaging 4.6 Knots and it may have dropped to 4.5...barely!!!) I realize that this was (under sail) but It gave me a consistant readout, without factoring in fatigue or cadance! Another thing you might want to try is "waxing" the bottom of your Kayak! It's been done for many years on skiis & sleds and it seems to work well on my boat, like skiis, you just have to apply it everyonce in a while. Anyway just a few thoughts on this model....happy paddling!P.S. Im 6'1" and about 185# (give or take a donut) :-)