Submitted: 11-03-2003 by tflanagan

My original review from a couple years ago is farther down this page. Regarding Marty's problem with oilcanning, I condsidered this to be typical of Royalex and polylink hulls (?). I wedged my 2-qt insulated water jug between the yoke and a closed cell foam pad (actually a "kickboard" kids use when learning to swim) laying on the bottom of the boat. This way I have the water handy for a drink, the kickboard could be used to hold on to for additional flotation in an emergency, and it cured the oilcanning problem. I also store my canoe upside down with this same setup(although the jug is empty), so the hull doesn't deform under it's own weight over time.

One thing that's become obvious over the two couple years I've owned the canoe is that many downriver canoes have more blunt bow shapes than my 169. This gives them more bouyancy to rise up over large (3 foot or higher) waves rather than plow through them and take on water, though I suppose their blunt noses are less efficient on flatwater. Anyway, I added flotation bags to the bow and stern of my 169, with nylon spray skirts over this same area of my hull, approximately 3 feet at each end of the canoe. I used a design similar to what Cliff Jacobsen has in his books. Next year I hope to confirm that this will keep some water out of the canoe in the Class III situations.