Submitted: 10-27-2003 by bub

I have just finished my very first season of paddling my Sirocco and I am very pleased! This is my first real year of serious paddling and the sirocco is my first boat. At first, it seemed a tad tippy for my large frame at 6'3" 220#. It did not take very long for me to learn all the limits that the boat had for me. The initial stability is great, but the secondary is out of this world! I can lean so that half of my combing is underwater and still feel incredibly stable. I like having the skeg instead of rudder so that wind does not push me around too much. However, with small quartering waves, tracking gets a little annoying. Nothing huge, just a little lean and a sweep stroke and you are right as rain again. On that note, the response is usually a stroke behind in many conditions, so be wary.

Rolling is easy as pie in this boat. I have learned 5 different kinds of rolls, and it seems that the boat wants to help you roll. One thing to be cautious of is when you roll, the soft chines do nothing to keep you from stopping when you are upright. So, if you have a strong hip snap, take the time and learn to SLOW IT DOWN!! It did not take much lake water to learn that lesson.

The sirocco cuts through large waves like a dream. I have been on Superior in some very rough water and my boat not only rode the waves, but attacked them. Another thing to remember is that you ar low in the water, so if you are like me and like to play, you are going to get wet. Not a warning, just a heads up. But why are you in a kayak if not to have fun?

The hatches have had no leakage whatsoever with all of the abuse that I have heaped on my boat. I do have quite a bit of trouble opening my rear hatch quite often due to the lack of a pull tab on the hatchcover.

The one complaint that I do have is on very sharp turns, the stern drags over the water pretty hard and creates a lot of resistance, which is kind of a bugger when you are leaning over onto your shoulder already, WET!!

Overall, the Sirocco is by far one of the best plastic boats on the market for a person my size. I am so enthusiastic about it, my first glass boat will probably be the gulfstream, the glass version of the same boat. If you have any questions, feel free to write me, obviously, I love to talk about my sirocco!!