Submitted: 10-23-2003 by Frank P.

Buying your first kayak is a big deal if you want to get the right boat for the money. So I did my home work. I read everything I could get on the big names: Perception,Wilderness Systems, Current Designs, Necky and Dagger. While each company had some very good boats for a wide variety of paddlers. I always kept coming back to the Current Designs brand. It is just personal but their boats seemed to have the best hardware and features for my personal use, relaxed kayaking on ponds, bays, rivers and the Chesapeake Bay inlets. As a 59 year old beginner wanting to enjoy early retirement this was the boat for me. Stable, manueverable, and tracked like an laser on the water.

Before buying the Whistler I tried several of the competitions boats at a variety of paddlefests but nothing seemed to hold a candle to this boat for the beginner who wants to grow into an intermediate paddler with time and experience.

One final thought on the search for your perfect kayak. Enlist the help of a good kayak shops expertise. Make sure they can sell you any one of the top five brands so they will give you unbiased information on the market leaders in the business. They can help make your search easier bbecause they know the boats and can help eliminate boats that don't meet your personal requirements. My wife was so pleased with my mango Whistler that she ordered one in turquoise.