Submitted: 10-16-2003 by barracuda
As almost everyone has noted, this is not a beginners' boat. If you are currently using a wide SOT, this will be a learning exprience for you. It might be easier to switch to a sit inside or surf ski if you are looking for speed. Initial stability is not as good as a lot of sit inside kayaks. More like a surf ski.

Watch out for rear quartering winds. In a 25 knot wind it will weathercock even with the small skeg. I haven't had it out in big waves, but even a very exprienced friend said he could probably not stay on it on a big wave. And he can handle an 18' boat in big water better than anyone I know.

The former owner raced it fairly sucessfully on San Francisco Bay. He replaced it with a racing surf ski. He warned me off of using in really rough conditions like off the Mendocino Coast in winter. On the other hand. It is a beautiful, rugged, and very well made boat. It was designed by a boat architect and it is very well designed. The only SOT I know with bulheads.

Did I mention it is over 18' long and 24" wide? I guess it holds a ton inside, and that might improve intial stability. I don't know. I travel light. It is also very fast. It can run with the big boys. Sit on top, or sit inside. Just a few sit insides like the Seda Glider have an edge for speed, and not a big one.

If you do not do open ocean trips it should do just great. If you do open water, then buy the Shearwater for speed AND get another boat for the rough stuff! Bottom line is: mine is not for sale.