Submitted: 10-13-2003 by Jim

I recently moved into kayaks after 35 years in canoes. I've had my 138 for a full season now. I have used it steadily on weekends Lake Huron, Michigan rivers and local ponds after work for fishing. I moved up from a Loon 111 after using that boat for 3 seasons. The 111 was just a little small for my 210+ mass, sitting lower in the water than the 138. My wife now enjoys that boat very much. Both are great boats, stable, comfortable and solidly constructed. I have added the hatch (a bit pricey at $50), very handy, and also added a sail rig from Pacific Action out of New Zealand. I have been out on Lake Huron in 20 mph winds with 2-4 ft waves and stayed dry with no spray skirt. The boat is pretty much immune to winds as far as tracking, but it will turn on you if you coast very far. I am considering the optional rudder, especially for sailing. All in all, I couldn't ask for more versatility or performance for my uses. I would hesitate to take it down a class III river littered with obstacles, since the boat hasnít got much rocker and can be a chore to turn quickly, but for anything else, I highly recommend it.

Aqua-Bound: