Submitted: 10-10-2003 by danmehlman

I have had my Solstice GT for two seasons and I agree with the majority opinion here- beautifully made, fast for its volume, very stiff tracking, a beast to turn. It can be edged to improve turning, but in a training class this summer with folks in a variety of boats, the wide turning radius compared with others was obvious. Still, for travelling, the comfort, stability, volume, and easy of paddling is the trade-off. I paddled 150 miles on the Hudson- Albany-NYC last summer and was pleased with the comfort, the speed and enjoyed the downwind surfing. I almost never use the rudder. As one who has owned a series of volvo 240 wagons, I see the solstice as the volvo wagon of sea kayaks. I have a 2000 model with the black plastic rear hatch. The newer ones have the flush rear hatch which is cooler. Mine leaked due to a defective gasket, but CD sent me a replacement.