Submitted: 10-03-2003 by wet_one
I have tried out the sultan twice, two different boats. It is a fast and comfortable kayak, and handled the wind and waves very well both times I tried it. The problem that I had with both boats was that the skeg didn't work well in either one of them. In one the skeg wouldn't come down at all, even when someone else tried to pull it down while we were on the water. In the other one the skeg came down but I had to play with it too much to get it to come down, and then it was difficult to adjust. Normally a skeg is not required, but on the rare occasion when it is really needed I don't want to have to fiddle around with it to make it work. Having tried the skegs on the VCP and P&H kayaks I decided that the skeg problem on the sultan was serious enough to make me look elsewhere. If they change the type of skeg to something more efficient I would be more than happy to bump the sultan to a 10.