Submitted: 09-29-2003 by yanoer
I've had this 1982 29lb fiberglass Phoenix Isere for two days now, have paddled it both days on a nearby lake and am quite pleased with it. It seems very fast compared to my Perception Keowee 1 & 2 as well as my Old Town Loon 160T kayaks and my Moore Canoe Company 16'fiberglass Ladybug canoe. It tracks well and turns quickly using body balance and seems to accellerate and glide with very little effort. After two hours paddling on a lake on a very windy day, my arms felt like I could paddle for another hour or two, but I was out of time. I would be pretty worn out with any of my other boats after just an hour. I easily kept up with two men in a tandem canoe. This boat is now my favorite. It initially feels "tippier" than my other boats, but I never felt as if I would go over. The seat has no back rest, but is made pretty comfortable using a piece of high-density foam about 3" thick that sticks up about 3 or 4" above the back of the cockpit. The foot braces are not adjustable while you are seated in the boat. The thigh braces work well for me. I am 5'6" and 145lbs. The 29lb weight makes portaging and loading on the car top almost a pleasure. I reccommend this boat for people who want more speed than recreational kayaks offer and don't need the feeling of security that the high initial stability of recreationl kayaks. I'll update the review after I have tried it on a local river.