Submitted: 09-20-2003 by Clayton KB5TBB

I got into kayaking primarily because I am a fisherman. However, being an Eagle Scout I had many years of experience canoeing on lakes and I figured the kayak would present a new opportunity for adventure. I was right! The kayak opened many doors to paddling solo on rivers and lakes. I tried various models for many months of the summer before coming to the Acadia. Some models I tried before deciding on the Acadia: Old Town Loon 111,120,138,Otter, and Perception Swifty 9.5, Pungo 120. I found that the Acadia 12.5 was more a "general" purpose yak than all those other models. It had ocean-going capability, it was stable, and it was fast! Some of the other boats were like a bulldozer going through the water. The Acadia seems to glide across the surface and when I want to turn it, it turns. I'm a BIG guy for kayaking (6' 280#), and I feel very comfortable climbing in and out of the Acadia. The seat gives me support that has kept me comfortable for four or more hours. I have had it in some pretty rough water and it was good to me (no tipping over). It also is easy for a smaller person to carry because of it's weight, not much more than the Otters and less than some Loons. The boat usually lists for $500 in stores but I was able to get mine on sale for under $400 at an EMS in North Attleboro, MA. Mike was the salesperson and we had discussed kayaking before. I'm originally from Texas and make trips there throughout the year -- you can bet I will be bringing my Acadia to explore areas I never visited as a child.