Submitted: 09-19-2003 by lars

I have owned my Current Designs Sirocco for almost a year now so this is not a first impression review. Having camped out of this kayak for 6 days on Ross Lake and paddling my usual haunts on the Columbia River I have found that the Sirocco is the kayak for me. Tracking and handling in current and wind are confidence inspiring. Stability is fine as long as you are moving, but it might feel a little tippy off center if you are used to a wider kayak when just sitting, but its nothing that can't be gotten used to. As far as materials the Sirocco is made of high density plastic which is just fine by me because most of the local river is loaded with sharp basalt. The hatch covers are by Kajak and after using them I would not want to go back to the old neoprene cover, hard plastic, and strap type. The bulkheads are glued and siliconed minicell foam and other than condensation no leaks have appeared and there has been plenty of opportunity for this to occur if it was going to happen. I am 6'3" tall and weigh 225lbs and have size 14 feet and I can say that this kayak fits great for me but there is no room to spare in the foot area but hey I am in Sasquatch territory as it is so Harry Henderson could paddle this boat ok. The seat for me is just fine even unpadded I've sat in cars that were worse and the backband is a whitewater type which after getting used to I now actually perfer. The Sirocco rolls very easily, leans to the extreme, and seems to be the kind of craft that gets better as the conditions get worse. For my money this is the best plastic kayak on the market bar none and I checked out most of the others before settling on the Sirocco. If you don't like plastic there is always the CD Gulfstream in Kevlar or fiberglass. My thanks to Derek Hutchinson and Brian Henry for bringing this kayak to the market for the kayaking public to enjoy. Bullseye a perfect ten.