Submitted: 09-16-2003 by cuda

Well, after spending $50.00 on gas looking at all the kayaks stores for 75 miles around, I bought the last Arcadia 12.5 in stock from The Backpackers Shop in Ohio. I,m 6'3, 245 lbs. and believe me, there's not a lot of choices when it comes to a 12 ft. rec-tour boat out there without the bathtub size cockpit. I bought a Walden Scout last year because I wanted something to slide in the back of my Mazda pickup and just go play. the Scout is O.K. for flat water but any amount of current in a river grabs the kleats on its stable bottom and takes you where the current wants to. I fit in the 34 inch cockpit of the Arcadia just fine, could use another inch of height for my size 13 feet but they fit ok at a 45 degree angle. The adjustable seat back is sweet, the non-adjustable plastic molded seat in the Scout gave me back pains[although the new ones have a new style adjustable seat]. The Arcadia is not as stable as the Scout, it's 3 inches narrower but then again faster and a little more manuverable, didn't feel like sitting on Tom Sayer's raft.

My first trip a mile up the local river in class one ripples, and back, proved to me that the Arcadia can handle a fair amount of crosscurrent and flow[took me a half hour to go the mile upstream in 2.5 mile a hour current] but had to stop because of a downed tree under a bridge. Pulled up under the bridge and replentished my fluid level from the my cooler in the rear hatch[ nice option] slipped back into the Arcadia and had nice ride back to the vehicle chasing kingfishers down the river as I happily enjoyed my new toy. Hope to update before the snow comes.