Submitted: 09-15-2003 by Peter_K
Well, something not yet mentioned about the explorer. It can pick up very small swell. I was coming in after a long days paddle in small surf. The Explorer gave me good rides even at a fairly off angle to the waves. Then as we came into the bay I stopped with some of my buddies to BS. All of a sudden, (really a while, but we were busy talking) half of our party was way ahead about 200 yards or so. I said "lets catch them" my buds said "yeah right", then I hopped on ths 12-18 inch swell and made incredible speed. No one except me believed it but I know the Explorer.

Mine is one of the early ones, she is very heavy, and very solid. In places where a boat with more primary would have made me nervous (or upside down)she just lets the little stuff go and the secondary is a dream. Slower than some 18 foot boats I have owned. I weigh 235 and paddle the standard version. I love the rope skeg, every skeg boat I've paddled has been annoying to my knee except those equipped with a rear rope skeg. She doesn't need it much unless I'm feeling lazy. She will ship water if I practice an over the back deck rescue, but if you cannot roll this boat you cannot roll. Yeah, the usual niggles, needs a foam seat and different backband. I've yet to paddle the T 170 or anything from Mariner, but for right now in rough water she is THE THING, with a bag of chips, salsa, and 4 gigs of RAM. I love the day hatch and keep my cell phone (in dry case), thermos of ginger tea, first aid kit, (need Dramamine or got blisters anyone), some boat repair stuff and other tricks in there. Radio and flares are on me.