Submitted: 09-02-2003 by PB

I have been paddling for more than fifteen years in a variety of light touring kayaks. However, at 6'4" and 205 lbs. my options are limited. My criteria for this boat were good tracking for day trips, speed, ability to cut through two-foot chop, 16'6"-17'10" in length, and 56 lbs. or less). Ironically, the Alvik was not even on my list of boats to check out, but I came across it and am extremely impressed. The craftsmanship is superb, the weight at about 54 lbs. is about as low as you can find in glass, and the price is considerably less than comparable boats. I am most impressed with the ease with which it glides through the water. It tracks extremely well but can be maneuvered without much effort. With a moderate key hole cockpit, bracing is enhanced enabling you to turn the boat quickly. Others have commented on weathercocking. This is probably true in general, but this complaint is usually attributed to improper fitting. To create a snug fit I added hip braces using nothing more than roof rack pads and I moved the seat back an inch and a half. By doing this I am in constant contact with the boat, which enables me to steer the boat in almost any wind with little effort, eliminating weathercocking. About the only time I feel the need for the rudder is in a cross current. The bow flare and deck also provide for a very dry ride. This boat is a keeper.