Submitted: 08-26-2003 by geopat
My wife and I have been paddling a Grumman 18í standard (which we affectionately call the tank) for 26 years. This year we decided to go to Isle Royale. I knew I couldnít handle the portages that we had in mind with the 90 lb. tank, so we began looking for a lighter tandem. We eventually settled on the Northwind in Black Gold. We averaged 3-5 days a week throughout the late spring and summer working out on local lakes and rivers. We are absolutely delighted with the speed, handling and secondary stability of the Northwind. Loaded, and one thing we AINíT is minimalists, the Northwind simply amazed me. Running, the first day on Isle Royalle, the 10 miles of Rock Harbor in the afternoon we experienced considerable chop. This wasnít even annoying. As we passed the Middle Islands passage we got the full force of Lake Superior whitecaps into our side for half a mile. That was work, but we took no water. On our return we had to pass a ship which sent 4-5 ft waves to greet us. Again we took no water. As flatwater paddlers we feel the Northwind is the finest canoe we have ever used. (Did I mention how nice the 52 lb. weight is on a 2.5 mile portage?)