Submitted: 08-25-2003 by John Rankin

I have had a Bell Northwoods Black gold, wood trim for four years now. I paddle about 30 days per summer both flat water, moving water canoe, and kayak as well as sea kayaking. The Northwoods is one of many canoes I paddle. It is also the most stable, fastest, and the best tripper I have been in. My wife loves the fact that it does not rock back and forth but sits flat. She find this easy on her back. We paddled a two hundred mile trip on the Georgian bay with sea kayaks. We had no problem keeping up with the sea kayaks or handling the waves. In fact one day the waves were about 5 feet high and on occasion they were breaking. The Northwoods managed them very well even side ways. The cane seats however are not my favorite. This canoe can be paddled solo very easily holding it's line in wind and moving fast. It turns very fast when tilted and well when flat. Tilting it is fun due to the super secondary stability. It is manoverable enogh for swamps and small creeks. Two good paddlers can cover a lot of ground in this canoe and carry a ton of gear, dogs and kids. It is a breeze to portage. The hull is very stiff and strong standing up well to hidden rocks. I would buy another one and highly recommend it.

Thunder Bay Tourism: