Submitted: 08-25-2003 by bcieri
I bought my plastic XL 5 years from a local outfitter who had used it for a season to teach kayaking to beginners as well as on guided overnight trips off the coast of Maine. It's perfect for both as it's incredibly stable and has enormous storage capacity.

I was relieved to read other reviews that confirm it's very difficult to keep on track without the rudder (I was afraid it was my lack of skill) and you can forget about going downwind without it...

After taking a rolling class this Spring and trying out a Nigel Foster Legend, I've come to realize that my XL is an aircraft carrier and while it's been fun and easy to drive, it's not contributing to my progress as a paddler.

The Legend, which is an expert's boat gave me a taste of what a "real" kayak is and how much I have to learn in order to be worthy of one, so I'm thinking that it's time for me to move on to something more challenging...

However, if you're a beginner looking for something safe and stable that's able to maintain decent speed, or if you're planning to do a lot of treking and need a platform that will haul your gear - this is your boat. (I'm hoping I can convince my wife to let me keep it)