Submitted: 08-22-2003 by Maluso

I bought a Pungo 140 in July and am very happy with this kayak. My previous kayaks have been on a SOT Drifter and a Folbot tandem Greenland II, and many years of canoeing. I love my Pungo. So far Iíve paddled day trips on slow moving streams and large lakes. Iíve also paddled a three day camping trip with all my gear in the boat.

Iím a short wide person and so needed a wide boat with a large cockpit. The Pungo definitely is that. It has incredible stability and is much faster than I expected for this type of boat. The carrying capacity of the Pungo is great and I had no problem fitting in everything I needed for a camping trip. The addition of some 303 to the inside rim of the hatch covers has made them quite easy to get on and off. I added bungee deck rigging fore and aft and it was excellent for holding down an extra paddle, some tarp poles, bilge pump, and crazy creek chair. The rigging is necessary for my uses and wasnít at all hard to install. If you do, add a couple of attachment points on the inside as well to help with securing gear. Iíve also added a paddle holder which has come in handy.

Iíve also added the mini-skirt which is an excellent way to add a little protection to the huge cockpit. Even without it, Iíve experienced zero paddle drips in this boat. The Pungo does tend to weathercock more than I like but no more than other rec kayaks Iíve paddled. The only real irritation Iíve experienced with the Pungo has to do with the large cockpit. I store/transport the Pungo right side up and use a cockpit cover which fills way too easily with rain. Adding support from below in the form of giant beach balls helps some but some water still collects.

If Wilderness Systems found a way to build a better cockpit cover, Iíd be the first in line. All in all, an excellent kayak for day paddling and camping. Iím very pleased with the Pungo 140.