Submitted: 08-21-2003 by solojoe

My purchase of my Souris River Quetico 17 wasn't without research. I'd read many good reviews from folks who knew their canoes before even going to look at one. I wasn't let down. This canoe is a great balance between stability, load hauling, speed and being sea worthy. All of this is done with a light hull that gives you confidence and doesn't oil can.

I use this boat for work and play. I do portage and trail clearing in the BWCAW and these trips can involve hauling some pretty good loads around. I chose to use the 'Antler' style yoke from gearforportaging.com as it makes the canoe easier to shoulder when there are tools strapped into it. I don't baby this canoe and it holds up none the less. I did have a Wilderness 18 first and liked it for its speed but the Quetico better suits its purpose and the one foot shorter canoe IS a little easier to portage.

I have had a little difficulty holding this canoe on course and it loses a point because of that. Otherwise I consider an 8 a high rating if a 10 is perfect.